Getting The Job Done
Part of building your dream deck is the prep work – from scoping your backyard to planning where the furniture goes to gathering the right tools. Luckily, Trex® works as easily as timber, with practically all the same tools you use for timber.
PLAN YOUR DECK SIZE
1. Decide on the deck’s location:
» Consider whether it's freestanding or attached to the house.
2. Decide on the size of your deck:
» You’ll want to plan the size of your deck around how you’ll use it.
Tip: arrange your patio furniture to determine approximately how much room you’ll need to accommodate it.
3. Now calculate how much decking you’ll need
When heading to the shop for supplies, it’s best to be prepared with a plan. Have answers prepared for these questions:
Circular saw blade
Drills and bits
Hoe and hose
Post hole digger
Shims or spacers
Stakes & batterboards
- Check with your local council for what permits are necessary and any building code requirements
2. Homeowners Association
- Understand any rules regarding deck size, colour, product type or design
3. What's Underground
- Check with local utilities companies for the location of any underground cables or wires (a builder often helps with this).